Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring......When?

The calendar says spring but the weather is still saying winter. I hope it gives in soon as I am wanting to enjoy a good campfire before to long.
This week I was out for two long hikes. On Tuesday it was a 2 1/2 hr trip over to the woods, through the woods and a hike back home. It was quite windy & snowy at times but we were well protected for most of the time in the forest. We came across two blue herons along the stream at one point but they flew away before I could get any photos. Seeing them gave me hope that spring mustn't be far off. Wednesday we did a two hour hike along the Iron Horse Trail through Kitchener. The sun was out some of the time so that helped to brighten the walk. A train passed by us so I had to get a few shots of it traveling down the tracks. The conductor was even kind enough to give a blow of his whistle as he past us. Some of the birds I have seen this past week confirm for me that spring weather is on it way or else there are a lot of wishful birds out there.

The beaver lodge is still covered in snow

Fresh snow on the leaves

Quiet moment by the stream

What big foot prints. Can you guess who they belong to?

On the hike back from the woods I passed a couple of trees that had at least 20 robins enjoying the berries left from last years crop. They won't be getting any worms from around this area for a while so hopefully they will survive on last years leftovers.

All puffed out to try and stay warm

Stretching as far as I can to get the best berries

Doing an acrobatic move to get a snack
 
 Lets walk the Iron Horse Trail and see what we can find

This Red Winged Blackbird was singing to us

The Canada Geese flew by and honked

I don't see anything coming down the tracks

The tracks cross the water

Choo choo, here comes the train

Schneider Creek icicle art

Nap time for the ducks
 
After arriving home I found a number of European Starlings devouring the suet in the suet feeder. I guess they are in search of a good meal also. I never realized how colorful and spotted they are. I always looked at them as a real nuisance bird.

Female European Starling on the suet feeder

This ground is still to hard to find anything good to eat

Male European Starling in the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment