Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pinery, Nov. 8-10 2013

It was nice to get back to the Pinery as it has been a while since our last visit. I often think of our week-end get together with Janet, Joe and there families when ever we are there. We had a relaxing Friday and enjoyed dinner out at Aunt Gussies in Grand Bend.
Saturday morning I spent time with some of the feathered friends at the Pinery.  I was lucky enough to spend some time with a Pileated Woodpecker. I knew it was a big bird by the sound of its pecking in the woods by our campsite. I was also looking forward to seeing the Tufted Titmouse as they do not spend any time in our area. I was not disappointed. I actually had two of them eating from my hand. What a thrill that was!! After a very late breakfast we headed into town to do a bit of shopping as it was "Christmas in Grand Bend". On our return we toured around the park and did a bit of exploring before heading back to our cottage for an evening in front of the fire. By late in the evening the winds really picked up and we were in for a very windy Sunday.
We had a bit of very light rain and some hail around noon on Sunday and it was a very windy drive home. I was amazed to see that some people are still camping in tents at this time of year. That is by no means anything you would catch us doing. How do you keep warm when it is around freezing outside? After we arrived home we saw that they had snow squall warnings out for Grand Bend. We left just in time I guess. I am hoping to get one more trip to MacGregor in but we will have to wait till later in the week to make that decision. They are calling for warmer weather on the weekend so I can hope. If not, our time at the Pinery will be our final memory for our 2013 camping season.

Pretty in shades of pink

One of many vacated wasp nests in the park
This one was only about three feet off the ground

Pileated Woodpecker working his craft....

I enjoyed my time with this large beauty

Wild Turkeys out for a walk

Fresh beaver work near the Ausable Channel

A female Hairy Woodpecker in search of food

A fine coat of feathers on this Chickadee

This raccoon had traffic stopped on Hwy 21 in Grand Bend. 
People had to go out with sticks and brooms to chase it off the road

Time spent enjoying the Tuffted Titmouse

I was able to capture a front and back view together

Reflections of fall oak trees still with their leaves

Juniper berries for winter feeding

Female White-breasted Nuthatch in the wind

Common pose of the male White-breasted Nuthatch

Golden beauty along the channel

Enjoying a roaring fire on Saturday evening

She's posing nice in hopes of getting a treat

Female Downy Woodpecker was a frequent flyer to our site

Hand feeding a Tufted Titmouse, What a thrill!!!

Late afternoon at the beach on a fall day

How do you like this pose?

No comments:

Post a Comment