Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Port Burwell, Aug. 23-25 2013

I had the experience of a lifetime on Saturday. While we were making supper we kept hearing a chirping sound in the wooded area behind our campsite so I decided to go and explore. With camera in hand I followed where the sound was coming from and eventually had a fledgling Cardinal fly towards me with its mouth wide open looking for something to eat. I had noticed that there had been a pair of Cardinals hanging around since we arrived on Friday. I was able to get a few photo's before mom & dad arrived and got rather anxious with me so close. They eventually flew out of the woods with the wee one following but it was not able to clear the awning and it landed on the back of my chair. After taking a few more shots it was not moving off the chair and the parents were not returning. It cried out many times and I eventually put my finger out and it climbed on so I returned it to a branch on a tree at the edge of the woods. After a while mom & dad came back and they all flew deeper into the trees. It was my first time seeing a baby Cardinal and to be able to assist it back to the woods was a thrill in itself.
We spent lots of time at the beach, enjoyed two evening sunsets and lots of relaxing time at the campfire. Its amazing how you can sit at a fire for so long and enjoy every minute of it. On Sunday I went for a hike along the ravine trail and was able to find the huge tree that we had seen when we hiked the trail once before. I had looked for it since but was not able to locate it. I found out I had to walk the loop that goes to the farthest campsites which I usually don't do. Now the mystery is solved.
It was another wonderful week-end at one of the many provincial parks we love going to.

This is when it flew over to me in the woods
Check out the hair do!

Perched on the back of my chair

Returning the wee cardinal to the woods

Time At The Beach
Lots of Terns, Bonaparte and Ring Billed 
Gulls flying on the shoreline

Purple beach grass in the sunlight

A Spotted Sandpiper near the beach

The beach beans are almost ready

Someone creative beach art

A little breezy Sunday at the beach

Great view over the lake

A walk on the ravine trail

 Friends in the fungus world

I found the big tree

Eye see you looking at my face.......

Natures beauty

Fading coral fungus

Fall leaf caught in a web

A new find for me

Sunset over the water
 
Golden rays on the beach grass
 
Sunset through the fine grass

No comments:

Post a Comment