Thursday, November 6, 2014

MacGregor, Oct.31-Nov.2 2014

We had an adventurous weekend at MacGregor. The weather was not bad when we left home but it sure changed when we got north of the Kincardine Hwy, (Greenock). We hit a wall of wind and it just got worst the further north we went. Lucky for us we had a really secluded campsite so we were quite sheltered. We had not finished setting up when a young red squirrel came for a visit. Must have wanted something to eat!! Duncan also let me know that the chickadees were outside singing away and he said to me that "they heard Maureen was here and they wanted some sunflowers". I had to finish what I was doing before I could collect my treats and head out to feed them. They were quite friendly and landed in my hand to get some seeds. I left them with a few as we were heading out on a deer search. Unfortunately there were not any out and about. We drove up to Southampton to shop at the Kitchen Cupboard Store and to see a few of the kids out trick or treating. We picked up some chinese food for dinner to enjoy back at camp. It was an indoor evening as it was raining and snowing lightly. We watch the movie Frozen, which I really enjoyed. The lake was very noisy and our site was not far from the water so we listened to that as we drifted off to sleep.
 Saturday I awoke to a light dusting of snow pellets on the ground but it wasn't long before they melted. My feathered friends came for a visit so I spent some time with them before we headed out to Sauble Beach. It was a nice drive up and we toured around the area for a while before heading back to the park. We went out to dinner with John & Joanne to Duffy's for a fish and chips feast then went back to their place for a visit. I have to send out a special thanks for all the carmels I was forced to eat.....lol
 Sunday was an exciting day as the sun was shining and it was warming up. We went for a hike and drove around the park looking for some deer friends. We were not disappointed. We found a yearling out enjoying some grass. I was able to get a number of photos as she was quite comfortable with me being so close. At times I was less than six feet away. It was a thrill spending so much time observing her as she enjoyed a feast of young fresh grass. We spent some time back at our campsite before heading home. This weekend we are off to the Pinery for what may be our last adventure for the season. I am hoping that the weather will give us more time away but with the cold temperatures at night it is not looking good. I will keep you posted when I update the blog next week.

Friendly chickadee enjoying some seeds

Blue jay getting what was dropped on the ground

Poor red squirrel has a broken tail. She can't 
lift it over her back to keep warm and dry

A large piece of tooth fungus

Mr. red-breasted nuthatch hiding his seeds

The tamarack trees are a blaze of golden colour

Male white-breasted nuthatch

Giving me his best pose, I'm so pretty....

Looking down from the cedar tree

Spider out on a flower in the warm sun

Late fall beauty in the woods

A lucky chance to get the two of them 
as they squawked at each other

I hear something over there

Reflections in the water at Turtle Pond

Chickadee opening a sunflower seed
It has a wee piece in its beak

This grass is so yummy

Dragonfly enjoying the warmth by the pond

My favourite photo of the weekend  :o)

1 small used nest for rent

Always wash your paws after eating
I see your pink tongue

A big peanut for a small bird
Check out her tongue

Heart reflections in the reeds

Hey....you talking to me

No comments:

Post a Comment