Thursday, May 12, 2016

Pinery, April 29 - May 1 2016

 It was wonderful to be back in nature and out of the house. I had spent most of March and April stuck in the house sick. My time out was to doctor's appointments and the grocery store so to be out in the fresh air was amazing. 
 It was a sunny weekend except for the bit of rain we had one night. I so enjoyed listening to the birds and the sounds you hear out in the park. We enjoyed two evenings by the campfire. How I have missed the sounds of the crackling fire and the flickers of the flames.
 I had the opportunity to photograph a Northern Mocking bird which was a first for me. It caught my attention when it flew from one tree to another. It has wonderful white markings in flight which caught my eye and I followed it to find what kind of bird it was. On Sunday morning it spent time in a tree singing many of it songs. The Northern Mocking bird can sing over 300 different songs that it has learned to mock from other birds.
 The park was full of new growth, spring flowers and new young wildlife. I enjoyed lots of hiking and exploring to see all the amazing sights the park had to offer in the spring. We certainly enjoyed our first weekend of adventure. We are really looking forward to another fun filled year out with natures beauty.

Northern Mocking bird

They love to eat suet and have such long tail feathers

The park is coming to life again

Young black squirrels were out adventuring on there own

White-throated Sparrow

Saturday I found a nest of 10 Mallard eggs 
lined with lots of down feathers

Sunday morning the nest had been destroyed.
I suspect a raccoon found it :(

Nature smiling at us in the woods

One of many spring flowers

Male Purple Finch, another first for me

Young gray squirrel posing for me

Rain drops on the new growth in the forest

This Turkey was stretching her wings

Another first: Field Sparrow

Ruby-crowned Kinglet trying to impress 
the ladies by exposing its crown

Chickadee with a Tufted Titmouse in the background

Female Eastern Towhee

Male Eastern Towhee
 His song is so beautiful

Boardwalk and some of the sand dunes 
washed away during the winter

I enjoyed watching the muskrats


No comments:

Post a Comment